Please note: This content relates to a historical event and may no longer be current.
If you are worried about paying your bill, reach out to your retailer for help with your energy debt. They will work with you to make sure you stay connected. They can offer you important supports, like sustainable payment plans and access to hardship programs.
In March 2021, the AER extended its Statement of Expectations calling on energy retailers to to provide support to households and small businesses until 30 June 2021. It is important that you reach out to your retailer as soon as possible before 30 June 2021 so you can access the extra supports available now.
Some of the extra supports available now include that retailers will help residential and small business customers by:
- providing information about better plans, concessions, rebates and other support
- offering a payment plan based on their customers' capacity to pay with a no-payment window if required
- not disconnecting residential customers who are in contact with them in relation to their debt
- not disconnecting small business customers as long as they are adhering to a payment plan
- considering actions that will minimise customers' debt
- immediately reconnecting anyone who may be disconnected once they make contact and waiving any associated fees.
There is also other practical support available for your energy bills if you're experiencing financial difficulties.
energy.gov.au - Support for Australian households
Energy Consumers Australia - Consumer resources
energy.gov.au – Support for Australian businesses
Australian Capital Territory
ACT Government – Economic survival package for families and households
New South Wales
Energy & Water Ombudsman NSW – COVID-19 customer support
Energy & Water Ombudsman Queensland – Support for customers impacted by COVID-19
Energy & Water Ombudsman SA – COVID-19 support
Energy Ombudsman Tasmania – Are you concerned about paying your bill or getting disconnected?
Northern Territory Government – Community update, 19 March 2020 (updated 13 May 2020)
Essential Services Commission – Supporting energy customers through the coronavirus pandemic 2020
Government of Western Australia – COVID-19 coronavirus: Western Australian Government response - Household support