If you’ve found a plan you like and you’re ready to switch, that’s great. Before you do, have a look at the checklist below.
- I have a Basic Plan Information Document or the retailer’s written summary of the plan—this tells you the important information about your plan, such as the tariff, how long it’s for, and any fees and discounts.
- I know about my cooling off rights.
- I have checked with my current retailer about whether I have to pay a fee to leave my current plan early.
- I have checked whether prices can change on my new plan, and whether any price changes are planned.
- I have checked whether I can get a concession.
- I have checked whether the retailer offers flexible payment options, such as monthly billing.
Once you’ve found a plan you want, contact the retailer to sign up. You can find the retailer’s details on the retailer's written summary or Basic Plan Information Document for the plan.
To be sure that you’re signing up to the same plan, give them the:
- name of the plan, and
- plan ID.
- get your energy service changed over, and
- tell your old retailer that you are changing over.
Within a few days of signing up, you will get a letter that shows:
- the plan you selected with your personal details, and
- all the terms and conditions of the plan.
You might be able to get this by email.
Changing over happens the next time your meter is read. This could be up to three months.
If you want to start using your new retailer sooner, you can ask them to read your meter earlier. Check if you have to pay a fee for this.
You’ll also receive a final bill from your old retailer. It will tell you if you owe any money.