You might buy energy from a building owner or landlord (called exempt sellers) if you live in:
- an apartment complex
- a retirement village
- a caravan park.
If this is you, you have certain rights.
For example, exempt sellers must:
- supply you with power
- tell you your rights and responsibilities
- tell you when you
- will get your bills
- must pay them by
- have a way you can make a complaint
- not unfairly cut your power off
- not charge you more than the 'standard retail plan'—this is sometimes called a ‘standing offer’.
If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.
To find out:
- contact a retailer that has a plan you like
- ask what you need to do to sign up with them.