You might buy energy from a building owner or landlord (called exempt sellers) if you live in:
- an apartment complex,
- a retirement village, or
- a caravan park.
If this is you, you have certain rights.
For example, exempt sellers must:
- supply you with power
- tell you your rights and responsibilities
- tell you when you
- will get your bills, and
- must pay them by
- have a way you can make a complaint
- not unfairly cut your power off, and
- not charge you more than the 'standard retail offer'—this is sometimes called a ‘standing offer’.
If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.
To find out:
- contact a retailer that has an offer you like, and
- ask what you need to do to sign up with them.
If you are a customer of an exempt seller and have a problem with your energy service that you cannot solve, call the AER Infoline on 1300 585 165.