Tenants who buy energy from a landlord

You might buy energy from a building owner or landlord (called exempt sellers) if you live in:

  • an apartment complex, 
  • a retirement village, or 
  • a caravan park.

Your rights

If this is you, you have certain rights.

For example, exempt sellers must:

  • supply you with power 
  • tell you your rights and responsibilities
  • tell you when you 
    • will get your bills, and 
    • must pay them by
  • have a way you can make a complaint
  • not unfairly cut your power off, and
  • not charge you more than the 'standard retail plan'—this is sometimes called a ‘standing offer’.

Can I choose my own retailer?

If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.

To find out:

  • contact a retailer that has a plan you like, and
  • ask what you need to do to sign up with them.


If you are a customer of an exempt seller and have a problem with your energy service that you cannot solve, call the AER Infoline on 1300 585 165.

Last updated on Thursday, August 16, 2018 - 10:27