If there is a problem with your bill, or you want to complain about a retailer, there are some simple steps you can follow to help you resolve the problem as quickly as possible.

Problems with a retailer might include:

  • you think you were overcharged 
  • your energy was wrongly cut off
  • the retailer did not help you when it was hard to pay your bill
  • salespeople keep calling or visiting you after you told them to stop
  • salespeople were too pushy, or 
  • no one told you that you had 10 business days to change your mind.

1. Contact the retailer

First, phone or write to the energy retailer. Tell them: 

    • what the problem is, and 
    • how you want it fixed. 

    This might be all you have to do to fix the problem.

    If this does not work, phone the retailer and ask to speak with a senior officer or manager.
    Then write down: 

      • their name 
      • when you phoned, and
      • what you talked about.

      If they give you a reference number, write the number down as well.

      You can also put your complaint in writing, either by email or mail, so that the retailer has a detailed record of your complaint that you can both refer to later.

      If the complaint relates to a problem with your meter, an outage or other supply problem, you need to contact your energy distributor—for more information, see our Faults and emergencies page.

      2. Contact the energy ombudsman

      If you are still unhappy, contact the energy ombudsman.

      The energy ombudsman helps to fix problems between customers and energy retailers. You do not have to pay to use the energy ombudsman.

      Their contact details are set out below.

      Energy ombudsman contact details

      Australian Capital Territory
      ACT Civil and Administrative Tribunal
      02 6207 1740
      New South Wales
      Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW
      1800 246 545
      Northern Territory
      Office of the Ombudsman NT 
      08 8999 1818
      Energy and Water Ombudsman QLD
      1800 662 837
      South Australia
      Energy and Water Ombudsman SA
      1800 665 565
      Energy Ombudsman TAS
      1800 001 170
      Energy and Water Ombudsman VIC 
      1800 500 509
      Western Australia
      Energy and Water Ombudsman WA  
      1800 754 004
      Last updated on Wednesday, August 2, 2017 - 17:14