Tenants who buy energy from a landlord
You might buy energy from a building owner or landlord – who are called exempt sellers – if you live in:
- an apartment complex
- a retirement village
- a caravan park.
You have certain rights if you buy energy from an exempt seller.
For example, exempt sellers must:
- supply you with power
- tell you your rights and responsibilities
- tell you when you will get your bills and when you must pay them by
- have a way you can make a complaint
- not unfairly cut your power off
- not charge you more than the 'standard retail plan' – this is sometimes called a standing offer.
Can I choose my own retailer?
If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.
To find out:
- search on Energy Made Easy to find an energy plan that suits your needs
- contact the retailer offering that plan
- ask what you need to do to sign up with them.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM