Skip to main content
Australian government - energy made easy: the power to compare

Tenants who buy energy from a landlord

You might buy energy from a building owner or landlord – who are called exempt sellers – if you live in:

  • an apartment complex
  • a retirement village
  • a caravan park.

Your rights

You have certain rights if you buy energy from an exempt seller.

For example, exempt sellers must:

  • supply you with power
  • tell you your rights and responsibilities
  • tell you when you will get your bills and when you must pay them by
  • have a way you can make a complaint
  • not unfairly cut your power off
  • not charge you more than the 'standard retail plan' – this is sometimes called a standing offer.

Can I choose my own retailer?

If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.

To find out:

  • search on Energy Made Easy to find an energy plan that suits your needs
  • contact the retailer offering that plan
  • ask what you need to do to sign up with them.

Related topics

Last updated on Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 2:47 PM