Understanding energy plans
Things to keep in mind when you're comparing plans.
What to look for
- What are the usage and daily supply charges?
- If there’s a discount, how does it work? For example, it could be off usage charges only, or it could be off the whole bill. If you sometimes have trouble paying your bill by the due date, a pay on time discount may not be the best option for you.
- If there’s a contract term or benefit period, are there any exit fees for leaving before it expires? What are the odds you’ll want to cancel the contract before the end of the term or benefit period?
- Do you want to support renewable energy by choosing an plan with GreenPower? If so, check whether the cost of GreenPower is competitive with other plans.
- How often do you want to be billed? If you like a plan but you want a different billing frequency, ask the retailer. Monthly billing can make it easier to manage your budget.
If you’ve found a plan you like and you’re ready to switch, that’s great. Before you do, make sure you:
- look at the Energy Price Fact Sheet—this Fact Sheet tells you everything you need to know about a plan
- know if you’ll have to pay an exit fee to your old retailer
- remember you have a 10 day cooling off period, and
- ask the new retailer if they have any price changes planned.
Last updated on Monday, September 24, 2018 - 16:31