Skip to main content
Australian government - energy made easy: the power to compare

Buying energy in a commercial building

Many businesses in shopping centres and industrial parks buy their energy from the owner or landlord of the property on which their business operates. These sellers are known as exempt sellers.

What are exempt sellers?

Exempt sellers are different to a normal electricity or gas retailer. Exempt sellers buy the electricity and/or gas from an electricity or gas retailer and resell it to customers in a multi-dwelling premises, such as shopping centres, apartment buildings, caravan parks and retirement villages.

If you buy energy from an exempt seller, you have certain rights.

For example, exempt sellers must:

  • supply you with power
  • tell you your rights and responsibilities
  • tell you when you will get your bills and when you must pay them by
  • have a way you can make a complaint
  • not unfairly cut off your power
  • not charge you more than the 'standard retail plan' – this is sometimes called a standing offer.

Can I choose my own energy retailer for my business?

If you are a customer of an exempt seller, you might be able to choose your own retailer.

To find out if you can:

  • contact a retailer that has a plan you like
  • ask what you need to do to sign up with them.

Related topics

Last updated on Wednesday, October 25, 2023 at 2:30 PM